Search This Blog

Saturday, November 7, 2020

11/7/2020 Report - Bigger Surf Coming Soon. Some Finds Having Information Value. Some of the Treasure Coast Beaches.

 

Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of the Treasure Beaches Report.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

Right now I'm most interested in how things are shaping up.  It looks like the predicted big surf is holding up.  For Sunday we're supposed to see something like 7 - 11 feet and Monday, 9 -14.  The high tides are still up around 3 feet too, so it is looking very promising.

The swells will be coming ENE mostly through Sunday, shifting to more easterly Monday, and then ESE.

If we get a nice big surf after what we've already had, most likely we are going to have some good beach metal detecting.

I'd rather see the swells coming more from the north, but the unusually high water should help many of the beaches and bring out some nice old coins.


Source: nhc.noaa.gov

Of course Eta is one of the big reasons for all of that.  It looks like it might pass over the Keys as a storm.  It doesn't look like it will be a hurricane, but it will bring some wind and unfortunately for some areas, a lot of rain.


One Model's Wind Speed Predictions
Showing Eta Monday 

Source: Ventusky.com.

---

I said back a few weeks ago I thought it would be a better than average fall and winter for beach metal detecting, and it seems to be turning out that way.

I still have a number of items, mostly clad coins, in cleaning.  Many were heavily encrusted, so I just wanted to see what was in there.  One location produced a good range of recent to 1940s coins as well as a really old coin.  I'll expand on that some other time when I have more time.

Here is a heavily corroded silver quarter, which I think might read 1946, but I can't tell for sure.

194x Date on Silver Quarter.

Most of you know that when you can't read the date, you can usually tell if a US coin is silver by looking at the edge.  That is unless it is too heavily encrusted.

After some time in the tumbler I still couldn't see the date well, but I could see the edge clearly was not clad.

Cleaned Edge of US Silver Coin.

I know that a lot of you have no interest in modern US coins even if they are silver, but they can provide good information.  One of the oldest coins I ever found was found with coins just like this.  When you are getting to the older stuff, even if it isn't as old as you'd like, it can be a good sign.

There are times when older coins can be in a higher layer than newer coins.  I'll explain that more some other time too.

1942 Penny Found in The Same Group.

If you are not interested in modern coins, you might still appreciate what they can tell you.

The condition, distribution and patina on coins can tell you a lot and point you to other types and ages of objects.

It is worth asking yourself what a any find might tell you.  Every find can tell you something, which is why I dig objects that have no particular value other than the information they provide.

---

Joe D. sent the following account of his 11/6 (Fri.) hunt.


    I was on my way home South, and decided to cross over at Melbourne, and check for some beaches to detect with a new Nox 800!
    This was it's first trip out, since i put it together! It only came with the two upper shafts, plastic arm cuff, coil, and the nonfunctional pod! I sent the pod in to ML for repair or replacement, as it wouldn't turn on! They replaced the pod, and i bought a lower shaft! And replaced the plastic cuff with an aluminum one i had already! I didn't care that it came without the headphones and wireless adapter, as i like my wired headphones! And the price was right; $315.00!!
    Anyway, to today's Treasure Coast visit! I stopped at Bonsteel, and didn't like how it looked! There were two guy's detecting!
    Next, went to Ambersands! Again, mushy sand, and little erosion!
    Than to Wabsso! Looked a little better South toward Disney Resort, but i moved on to Turtle Trail! Got there around 12:30, and tide was still pretty high! Saw about three other's working South, so i headed that way! I could just barely make out the blue bags in the surf, as i headed out! 
     I spent the next four hours working the bags back and fourth several times on both sides, as the tide went out! Than the last hour working North and back, till the tide began to change at almost dark!
     One of the highlights of my hunt was somewhat recognizing a detectorist working towards me! I stopped, turned off my detector,  and when he got to me, i said; " you look very familiar to me"!! He said; " I'm Terry Shannon"!! I said, i knew you looked familiar, and introduced myself, and said i was happy to finally meet him! We talked shop awhile, and he showed me pictures, gave me some good information! And told me that he had a new book that came out on Amazon! We parted ways, and both continued hunting!
     Awhile later, we met up again, going the other direction! He had switched detectors! (Mental note)! This time, i asked him if we could take a picture together! Thankfully, he agreed! We chatted a little more, he showed me some more pictures of finds, and a small unidentified find from this hunt! I agqin thanked him, and I was back at it again, as he said he was about done for the day!
    
    So i did get quite a few "junk" item's, and some coins! The quarter was a 1965! Most of the items were in the orange sand, which varied in depth from about 8 inches on the inside (West) of the bags, and was mostly exposed on the outside (East) of the bags! No treasure coins, but i got two pieces of lead; one of which is a fired small caliber bullet! I'm not sure about the flattened larger piece! 
And one copper nail! The rest of the items are pretty much self explanatory! I will try to post the pictures in order the best i can!

Wabasso Friday
Photo by Joe D.

 

North of Turtle Trail Over Huge Signal Friday.
Photo by Joe D.


Bags At Turtle Trail Friday.
Photo by Joe D.


Thanks for sharing Joe, and glad you had a good day.

---


Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net