Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

11/11/20 Report - Treasure Coast Beaches Still Good For Metal Detecting. Live Ordnance Found on Beach. Local Minelab Shop.


Written by the TreasureGuide for the exclusive use of treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com.

Live Ordnance With Active Fuse Uncovered by Eta.
Source: See MSN.com link below.

A beach-goer called 911 to report what looked like a rocket sticking out of the sand in South Indian River county.

A Patrick Air Force Base explosives disposal team confirmed the 3-foot long object was a live ordnance with an active fuse, likely leftover from World War II, according to Indian River County Fire Rescue officials.

Here is the link.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/live-ordnance-with-active-fuse-uncovered-by-tropical-storm-eta-in-south-indian-river-county/ar-BB1aT8HE

Be careful when digging big targets like that.  Check first.

----

Frederick Douglass Beach Wednesday Morning.

I went out to do a little metal detecting this morning and found out that there are a ton of targets still on the beaches.


Nice Dip.

There are some cuts remaining, but most most have deteriorated to some extent.  Still there are a lot of targets out there.


Another View of Frederick Douglass Beach
Wednesday Morning.

I don't usually like leaving so many targets behind, but I ran out of time this morning.

I'm most thankful that my back is healed.  I am able to detect just like the old days - well almost.  A couple years ago I thought my metal detecting days were over, but I've really been enjoying myself and having no problems.

The range of targets is wide.  You can find a lot of modern targets and some old targets.  Amazing how much is out there.

Here are some finds  that I picked up this morning.


Wednesday Morning Finds.


I was going to take a long walk to another location but started picking up things and didn't get to where I intended to go.

In that photo, there are about forty coins of a variety of ages, a couple pieces of jewelry and some things that need to be cleaned before I can tell what they are.  Maybe you can see the cross in there and a couple square nails.

JamminJack sent this photo a an old nickel that was recently found by one of his friends.


I'm keeping my Treasure Coast beach conditions rating at a two.   There is still some pretty decent hunting out there, and I'd expect a few more shipwreck finds to be made.

---

I don't as a rule advertise businesses, but I received an email from Gary Mueller, President of Treasure Coast Metal Detectors, who said he reads this blog all the time and wanted to put a link to this blog on his business web site.  They sell Minelab detectors - online only. 

Here is the link to the website.

--- 

In years gone by, I spent many high tides at one detector shop or another in South Florida - mostly Kevin Reilly's.

Kevin, now deceased, along with a friend or two, wrote the Beach Bank book, which shows many of the Treasure Coast shipwreck beaches.

---

Source: nhc.noaa.gov

Eta is now just off Tampa.  Maybe they'll be getting some good hunting.


Source: MagicSeaWeed.com.

As you can see, the Treasure Coast surf will be decreasing for a few days.

---

Thank a veteran.


Happy hunting,

TreasureGuide@comcast.net